The US Olympic team has been made complete with the final overage player, and my favorite, Brian McBride. McBride proved his
studliness in the last
Copa Mundial when he took the elbow to the eye from Italy's De
Rossi, nearly bled out, had to have his eye amputated, got a laser-gun prosthetic eyeball, then returned to the game and burned the
Azzuri the the ground. (At least that's how I remember it!)

Hopefully skipper Peter
Nowak will see fit to let skill and experience speak for itself, and start McBride up top. To be honest, we drew a tough bracket and I don't expect us to advance. But if Team USA decides to show up mentally and play as a team, chances are as good for us as they are for Nigeria or the Dutch (Japan, not so much). So, from a fan half a world away, I say to the venerable McBride, "God speed old boy! Don't let those young punks push you around!"
YAY! One win down....how many more to go? I still can't believe you were up at 5am this morning to watch them play! I woke up to "GOAL!!!!!!" instead of my alarm!
ReplyDelete