Today was our second day of Training here in Orlando.
Before we wrapped it up last night, we were asked to enter the worship room in the morning in silence. If we needed to talk, to please carry on the conversation in the hallway. This was to allow people a time to prepare in prayer.
So, you can imagine how funny it was when we entered the worship room this morning to find a different rattle-like musical instrument on every chair. There was NO WAY that we could be quiet! Instead, we were told that today would be a morning of praise and noise. We started singing and making noise with our tambourines and shakers and drums. It was really a wonderful morning.....and a unique "un-church" church experience.
Then, the rest of the morning consisted of hearing everyone's "step-by-steps". Basically, everyone had 3 minutes to tell what brought them to this place. How had God worked in their life? How had they reached this decision?
I would like to share parts of our step-by-step:
Caleb went first:
"As an MK, missions have always been close to my heart. And not just Bible translation or church planting, or evangelizing. From early on, I had an understanding that if you have a skill, any skill, God can use that for His glory… If you are willing. If I choose to be available, God will always use that attitude to further his kingdom. I remember a quote from Chuck Swindol that says something to the effect of: 'attitude is the only thing you can really control' or something like that. Regardless, I think he’s right, even if I don’t live like that very often. If my attitude says 'here am I send me' and not, 'there I go, send someone else', then I think God is pleased in that!
This organization has given me an opportunity to use what skills I have, in a place that needs them. It really was a very logical decision: They have a need, I have the necessary skill, and we are available and able to go, so we will. Papua New Guinea is a special place to me. It represents my childhood. If I can, by my activities and skills, make it an easier place for translators to do their thing, then that is what I want to do. Being part of something greater than myself is motivating to me. It helps me better understand who I am in the eyes of God...."
Then I spoke:
"When I was younger, a missionary was someone who visited our church during mission week. They had cool pictures and brochures and that was "it". Once a year, I heard a few stories and then that was the extent of my missions exposure until the following year.
Don't get me wrong, I went on missions trips and understood their value, but I never personally knew an overseas missionary.
When I went to college, I met my now husband and fell in love with him....and his family!
They had served with this organization as missionaries in Papua New Guinea. I met their friends and I was attracted to their "look on life". I started to see that there was actually a way to physically live with eternity in mind. They radiated a sense of freedom that I had never experienced and had never seen before....anywhere.
Throughout our first 5 years of marriage, we occasionally talked about going to PNG....the talk was more like, "So when are we going on vacation?" But then, we found out that a college friend had moved to PNG with her husband and 5 month old daughter to serve as missionaries.
I remember sitting at the computer, reading this news and joking with my husband about joining that organization, too.
That's when the realization hit. There was a position available that matched my husband's skills.
I honestly do not even remember applying for membership. It all seems a blur now in retrospect. My personal call was subtle. I doubted it for months- "Really? Now?" But there is no mistaking God's confirmation to our obedience. We are exactly where we need to be this moment.
I am nervous. I am humbled. I feel so unworthy of God's goodness. But, I'm excited!
In the words of Derek Webb- I'm ready to "take to the world this love and hope and faith...and this rare relentless grace" that I know....
(Again, this is just part of the step-by-step story we shared....we would love to tell you more anytime!)
Sunday, June 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I am so glad that you guys made it to Florida safely and that you are adjusting well to the training schedule. I will continue to pray that Ben will adapt well to different eating & sleeping times!
ReplyDeleteThank you for your commitment to keeping us posted on your blog. I am so excited to continue to see what all God will show you these next 2 weeks.
And on a side note - Kirk has been great - Raelin only slept downstairs the first 2 nights Kirk was here because Kirk took over the space in the floor at the bottom of our bed the first night and then Raelin's chair the second night!!! But I think we've figured out sleeping arrangements now! :)
Love you guys,
Kristin
Thanks for sharing! It's great to see how each of you came to this place!
ReplyDelete