According to our header for this blog, we want to give an honest representation of how things are progressing for our stated goal of getting to PNG. So to be true to that idea we must present a struggle that we are going through.
Prayer is a funny thing. Many people have different opinions on style, purpose, and even the effectiveness of prayer. Adrienne and I have recently discovered some of these differences exist between us.
Considering the level of commitment required to Go and Do, we both agree that prayer is essential. We disagree on why it is essential. The details are not important for all of our readers to know, but know that it weighs heavily right now.
I think a lot about potential struggles that we may have preparing for PNG, and I try to head them off before they occur. I am trying to be ahead of the game so my family won't have the tough transition that I so fear. This struggle is not one I even considered. For my part, I would tell anyone who asks that I enjoy challenges to my faith that shake up preconceived notions. I like defending my position on issues (must be the political junkie in me). But when that challenge is so effective that it causes me to change rather than stay the same, well that's hard.
My small group is studying the book of Acts right now. We have just reached where Paul is taking his ministry to the various towns and regions and presenting the new and radical ideas of Jesus. When Paul gets to Athens he engages the local thinkers in debate. The author of Acts makes a point to tell us that the Athenians loved to listen to and talk about the "latest" in new ideas. So when Paul is invited to the Areopagus to explain Jesus' way, he does so. He effectively explains the Gospel message and Acts records the response. Of those who loved to be challenged in their thinking, only "a few" responded to the challenge. Only "a few" allowed themselves to be changed by that challenge.
What kind of man will I be this time?
Saturday, October 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment